Tuesday, March 13, 2012

LET THERE BE (SEEDLING) LIGHT!

My last two grow lights finally came in yesterday, and with that last piece of the puzzle in place, I am ready to start growing!

This weather in Chicago has been incredible. I spent part of Sunday outside getting the beds ready, and figuring out what containers I will need to make all of this garden magic happen. I found a wooden crate on my walk home from work last summer, and though it would be perfect to grow something in. I wish I could find more of these around town or in the alley to use and line up along the fence of the patio.

Found alley crate

So yes! I've started the little seedlings. I have 60 total that I've started indoors, and a bunch of seeds I am going to sow direct once all my beds are in order. I forgot to mention that I used a seed starting mixture by Hoffman in the pots. It's very light and got good reviews on Amazon, so I went with it (note: I've been in freelance hell and had to buy almost everything over the internet).

Filled peat pots

Everything seems to be going wonderfully so far. It's also a good thing that I like to keep my apartment around 70 degrees all of the time. I checked on my "greens" this morning and already saw some germination with the collards and kale seeds! Being this is my first time seeding, I started to freak out and took a picture to text to all of my friends!

Germinating collard seed


Final set up!

This is all super exciting for me, and I can't wait to document what the next few weeks will bring! Also, a good friend of mine gave me this guy to put in my garden for good luck:

Love this guy!

Here's to spring and gardens and puppies!

2 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I wish they'd grow faster so you could update sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They way these babies are growing, I could update everyday! Just posted some new photos on their progress...this is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete